Your Leading Au Pair Agency in Spain

Requirements to be an Au Pair in Spain

These are the requirements to be an Au Pair in Spain:

1. Aged between 18 and 30 years old.

2. European citizens: English, French, German as native language preferred. Very good knowledge of those languages could be fine as well. Do not hesitate to contact us if your language is a different one, families may require different languages.

3. Non european citizens: We mainly accept English native au pairs (UK, Ireland, USA, Canada, Australia, South Africa…) speakers or au pairs with very good English knowledge. They need to arrange a private medical insurance for their stay in Spain.

4. Single with no children.

5. Basic knowledge of Spanish language. Some families are willing to host au pairs without Spanish knowledge)

6. EU citizens just need a valid identity card or valid password, they do not need a visa to become an au pair in Spain. An enrolment in Spanish classes or other educational courses is not compulsory. If you want to stay longer than 3 months, you must announce this to the aliens registration authority. Au Pair In Spain team will advice on this requirement.

7. Non EU citizens do not need a visa for stays no longer than 3 months ( if their country is exempted from this obligation as Spain is a Schengen country) and they do not need to be enrolled in a Spanish Language course either. For more than 3 months stays, au pairs need a student visa, enrolment in Spanish classes or other educational courses, having guaranteed the necessary economical resources to defray the expenses of their studies, as well as the costs of living and the return to their country; and a medical insurance. Au Pair In Spain team will help you to obtain documentation required. Rules and regulations for Student Visas are constantly changing. We highly suggest that you contact your nearest Consulate immediately to ensure that you have all of the necessary paperwork and that you will have enough time to submit your application. We will help you with this. You should contact the Consulate at lest 60 days before your departure. A new and very important change is that now in Spain it is possible to apply for a student visa directly from Spain, so you can come to Spain with a tourist visa and once arrived to Spain, you can apply within the 60 days after your arrival for a student visa Spain Visa Regulations.

8. Initial period of not more than 1 year with one or several extensions. Initial and extensions may not however exceed a maximum of 2 years.

9. Be a non smoker or be willing not to smoke in the host’s family home. Some families will accept smokers.

10. Be in good health and fitness to work with children and participate in day to day family duties.

11. Medical coverage in the event of sickness, maternity or accident; either by national social security legislation (for EU citizens) or by a private insurance to be arranged by the au pair (non EU citizens).

12. Have no criminal record.

13. A written agreement between the parties concerned which defines the rights and obligations of both. In the agreement drawn up, amongst other items, the form in which the au pair will be able to share the family life of the household where he/she has been taken in should be defined.

14. Desire to care for children, must enjoy children and have childcare abilities. Practical childcare experience is preferred (baby-sitter, camps, nursery, au pair, mother’s help…)

15. Have at least a high school diploma. Some university education is preferred.

16. Child safety and first aid training is preferred.

17. Responsible, committed, open minded, flexible, mature, have a positive attitude.

18. Full driving licence is preferred but not required as most families do not need a driver.

Open chat
Do you need help?
may I help you?