Spain Visa Regulations

Documentation required to travel to Spain varies according to the country of origin:


If you are a citizen of the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein: you do not need a visa to become au pair in Spain. You just need a valid passport or a valid identity card. If you want to stay longer than 3 months, you must anounce this to the aliens registration authority.

EU citizens have all health costs covered by the Social Health Security of Spain. They need a European Health Insurance Card from their health insurance (through E-111 form).

Non-EU citizens (USA, Canada, Australia, South Africa…): Up to 3 months stay, you need a valid passport, a return ticket and a Schengen visa. If you want to live as an au pair in Spain longer than 3 months, you need a student visa from your local Spanish embassy. Therefore, before coming to Spain, the au pair must be enrolled in a Spanish language course.

It is not possible that a person comes to Spain as a tourist and afterwards changes his status to be an au pair. In order to get a visa for Spain you need a valid passport, you may be required to specify the reason for your application for entrance to Spain. Furthermore, if considered opportune, the Spanish authorities may require a document showing the establishment of accommodation in Spain, the au pair contract, a return ticket , or an invitation letter by the family. In addition, they may also require you to show that you are in possession of sufficient funds for maintenance during your stay in Spain to prove that you can afford it , a health certificate and a certificate of good conduct.

Non – EU passport holders should enquire with their proper local authorities about what kind of medical insurance documents they must present.
It is advisable to take out travel insurance for your trip.

We cannot guarantee that all information we gathered is correct or complete even though we have researched on this subject. Given that conditions may vary, we suggest that you contact the Spanish Embassy or Consulate to verify these requirements before you start your trip. Here you can see the embassies and consulates in your place of residence.

Travel Insurance

We have selected the following insurance companies and travel insurance products, as we understand that they cover very well the needs of young travelers au pairs. If you need affordable and good quality insurance, we recommend you these ones below, which includes medical and travel insurance, including third party liability. You can click on the logos to review conditions and even buy online easily. You can change language up on the right corner.

This Chapka below includes refund of the hotel expenses in case of a transfer to another host family: maximum 5 nights




* Choices for practising your spanish. For guaranteed quality tuition, look for an  Instituto Cervantes Accredited Centre. Portal oficial para estudiar en España. Portal que te ayudará en la práctica y aprendizaje del español.


This website uses cookies that help us deliver our services. By using our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more.

Aviso de cookies