Why coming to Spain as an Au Pair
To learn Spanish in Spain is the best way of approaching a universal language that is spoken by nearly 500 million people throughout the world. Thousands of people come to Spain every year to begin their studies or to improve their level of Spanish.
Speaking Spanish fluently may bring you great professional opportunities, remember, Spanish is the third most spoken language in the world after English and Chinese, Spanish is the official language of 21 countries. In the USA 13% of the population speak Spanish as their first language, and the Spanish culture is becoming very popular as well.
- Spain is, above all, a mosaic of cultures. Heterogeneous. Old and modern. The variety of its cultures attracts. The historic heritage dazzles. The vital power of its people fascinates. Spanish culture is extremely rich and touches upon all forms of artistic expression. Thousands of people come to Spain every year to begin their studies or to improve their level of Spanish.
- Many universities consider a gap year abroad as good experience, especially for modern language or international studies of any kind.
- In a competitive job market gap years are increasingly recognized by employers as that extra something to stand out among the rest of the applicants.
- Living as part of an Spanish family is the best way to learn about the Spanish culture and the language.
- Spanish host families are very interested in learning your native language and about your culture. This is the main reason why they decide to host an au pair. They are not looking for cheap domestic help.
- This is a cost-efficient way to travel and learn about Spain, taking into account that living in Spain is very expensive (in Madrid you may pay as an average 1.000€ monthly for an apartment or 400€ monthly for a room, accommodation with a host family and full board may cost 200€ per week).
- Through our au pair programs you will have time available to attend Spanish courses, participate in cultural and other educational opportunities and enjoy any weekend trips.
- In Spain there are many educational opportunities and many different options adapted to all requirements and everyone’s pockets: free Spanish lessons at public schools for adults, low cost courses at the Language Public school (Escuela Oficial de Idiomas). If you can afford it, you could attend one of the prestigious, quality courses offered by Spanish Universities, by Cervantes Institute associated private schools…All you have to do is choose.
- If you are an EU citizen, you do not need a visa to become an au pair in Spain, you just need a valid identity card or valid password. An enrolment in Spanish classes or other educational courses is not compulsory.
- If you are not an EU citizens and you will not stay in Spain longer than 3 months, you do not need a visa if your country is exempted from this obligation as Spain is a Schengen country, and do not need to be enrolled in a Spanish Language course either. This is the case for USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.